Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Transformation

Yesterday, on the heels of a very challenging conversation, I continued on my path with the vehicle conversion. (converting the old chevy suburban to a camper van for the big trip.)

Several things happened that seemed worthy of noting here.

I slammed my wrist into the wheel well when a wrench slipped. I nearly busted my wrist. A good reminder for me to slow down and not try so hard. But, to move while grounded.

So, I chose to slow down and look for a good feeling place. My pup reminded me to do that. The moment I slammed into the well and the word OUCH burst out of me, he was already planted with his head buried in my lap, pressing into me with warmth and affection... as if to say, don't loose your footing, you are supported.. you are loved. "Right," I told him. "You are right. Thanks buddy!" I watched my breathing and slowly eased myself to a different state. I did not give into the impact, but got ice and calmed myself in the warmth of the sun.

Those of you who know me well, understand that animals in my life are more than the physical presence of a creature I enjoy. But, rather become in one way or another a signpost to my spirit path. When my path intersects with that of another in a fashion of significance I take close note.

Moments after I went back to working on the truck, as I was entering and leaving the house repeatedly throughout the repair activities, I came across the prettiest little snake. Her coloration was unlike anything I have seen in PA, although she seemed clearly non poisonous and was a very young snake to boot, only about 10 inches long.

I found her sunning herself on the sidewalk and nearly stepped on her, she blended so with the long grass strands that are turning color with the fall leaves. I stooped down for a closer look and opted to move her off the sidewalk for fear of accidentally stepping on her. I gently scooted a leaf stem under her head enough to get her to lift her head so I didn't risk scraping her against the concrete. As she lifted her head I placed my fingers gently behind her head and lifted her off the sidewalk enough to get my hand under her.

She did not appear overly concerned at first. I was hoping my warm hands might be pleasant for her since she clearly was using the warm sun saturated sidewalk to warm herself. She was cool to the touch, smooth and modeled in color, variations of a brick red in a pattern that seems consistent with most garter snakes in the area.

It is interesting that she would appear when she did. I have not seen a snake up close and personal on any occasion except when there was something going on in my world that was in need of transformation. I saw eight when living with my former husband, (a relationship that needed to transform or dissolve). I saw two entangled while walking with my summer love. Within hours we faced one of the greatest challenges we experienced together which required we both address the secrets within us and consider the need to transform our perception and manifestation in the world. And yesterday, this beauty showed herself when my primary intention all day was to focus on how I felt about a recent challenge that my partner and I have faced together.. one that brought to life in a flash my darker self.

The face of the challenge really was not big. Nothing enormous happened, none the less, something within me snapped awake as if yanked out of Pandora's box. It sprang to life within me and I felt as if I was in need of self protection. Not because of any attack, but because of something under current that was lurking there hidden. It felt dangerous within... I can identify that as childhood stuff rising to the surface under my current strains. I recognize this is a temporary place.. and I am working my way, "up the scale of emotion" to get anchored again on love.

The challenge I presented was that I lost my cool and stormed out. I felt in me rage that is rare and volatile. Although I have seen far more of this in my experience with this man than I am happy to admit. I can not deny that accompanying this sensation is the deep seated feeling that this is important work and that there is purpose here.

Holding that precious little life in my hands I contemplated "Snake" and recalled the symbolism of transformation that I had been thinking about specifically earlier in the day.

I can see how I am in the midst of serious transmutation in both outward physical expression and inward, personal journey. For example, the vehicle is under physical transformation, that is obvious, but working on it represents my investment in a much larger shift that has been under way for over a year now. Of course, it is to be my home away from home.. the vehicle that carries me out west to further destinations in the State and National Parks of the west and southwest. In addition, on that journey I intend to invest myself in the creative process and tell the story of my animal/ "spirit "experiences in a variety of ways.

As much as this is part of my daily path it is a departure from the ordinary aspect of a life I might otherwise choose for myself. It defies the ordinary sense of being rooted. I will become like an air plant, finding my sustenance while moving from place to place.

I digress. While I know I have been focusing on this shift for some time, the little snake reminded me there was another shift afoot that required my full attention. I have been trying to listen more to my heart on this journey and part of that means learning to discern that still, quiet voice beyond the clamor of the day. How perfect that this snake comes to me so silently and with such grace and beauty!

So, I quieted myself and focused on the gifts of this messenger of the Universe, this special, young teacher and I heard her whisper within me... "I am a reminder of swift changes to come. Your spirit path awaits. Are you ready for change? Are you honoring your creative spirit? Does this path assist you toward your larger goals?"

When we consider the nature of the animal whose path we cross we benefit by considering their way of manifesting in the world. This has been my path by nature since I was a very small child. It is my belief we all have this within us.. we need only trust it and open ourselves to the process of listening. I moved the gentle, powerful creature to a sunnier location and thanked her for the reminders and hoped I'd honor her properly and certainly do what I could to listen and implement what I learned.

This morning I looked up snake on the net.. to sharpen my focus on her qualities and discern if there was more for me there. This is what touched me...

"Snake has been a symbol of life and sexuality for thousands of years in many cultures. It is a totem of power, renewal and transmutation. Soundless in motion and invisible at rest snakes are unable to produce their own body heat.  They are often seen lying in the hot mid day sun.  The suns warmth coupled with the snakes behavior regulates their body temperature.  Not relying on the energy of food to generate body heat, they can survive on meager diets for extended periods of time.

Those with this totem need very little food to energize themselves. They are usually cold and prefer warmer climates.  Their body temperatures are often lower than normal.

Snakes lack eardrums and external ear openings but have small bones in the head that conduct sound.  They are able to hear low frequency sounds and sense vibrations that travel through the earth. This links them to the underworld where secrets are stored.

The snake symbolizes healing on a cellular level. Because their bodies are lightweight and flexible they have speed and agility. When they enter into your world expect swift changes to sweep through your life. These changes signify a death of the old and a birth into untapped power, creativity and wisdom. Snake is a powerful totem to have. Only those with a high degree of spiritual training, be it past or present, will be awarded this totem. It is the guardian of sacred places and the keeper of hidden knowledge."  http://www.sayahda.com/cyc4.html


For now, the path is growing more clear and I am committed to listening more closely to that quiet voice, no matter what fashion it presents itself. I can feel the presence of truth when it is revealed to me. I am, after all like the snake, a child of the infinite.

I am reminded of the notion of the "many faces of God". I believe creator comes to us through ALL living things.. and every experience if we know how to tune our listening to that vibration, that level of or style of awareness. I believe this is the ultimate expression of co-creation. When we open ourselves to the life forces around us as we all are interconnected and all a part of the same truth, the same flow of consciousness. We need only slow down enough to hear it.

Until next time.. who are your spirit guides?

No comments:

Animal Conscious is BORN!

Animal Conscious is BORN!
The New Mobile Business is Solidifying... website to come.